Turn your time into money. Keep track of profit, cost and analyze overall financial performance across your projects.
Redmine provides extensive possibilites of planning and organizing work more agile to deliver faster and make our craft even better.
With Budget, in addition to keeping track of people work and time, it is possible to manage labor costs, set profit goals and gain insight into precious financial data from the past in order to plan and predict future more accurately.
You can use Budget plugin alongside our other plugin Schedule to plan on specific Deliverables besides the whole Project
Redmine Budget plugin requires Redmine Rate plugin which is made available free of charge and is also supported by us.
*includes one-year of updates
Keep track of time & money
Redmine is the best open-source project management and time tracking platform. With Budget, it is finally possible to manage money, payouts and projects in a single place:
- See cost of employees’ work based on time tracking (thanks to agnostic open-source Rate plugin bundled with Budget).
- Measure overall performance of your team based on deliverables & issues forecasts.
- Get to know if everything is on track, both financially and timely.
Plan budget for every product you want to deliver, be it a document, server configuration, design or anything that is deliverable to your clients. Calculate costs, set profits, assign issues and people to be on top of everything.
Bill hourly or set fixed price depending on requirements. Get overeview of your projects’ financical performance in na glimpse. Divide and rule: group and split tasks to make managing finances easier.
Specify hourly rates for employees to see not only spent time but every penny that is floating around with it. Every employee can have different rate for each project accross varied periods of time.
Use Redmine functions you know such as Custom Fields, Statuses and permissions to adjust everything to your workflow.
Bill dynamically based on hourly rates or set fixed costs with other factors like profit to make sure everything is in its right place.
Assign time for individual people and type of work within deliverables to breakdown costs and see performance of employees.
With protected fields and budget supervisor features you can be sure that budget and numbers are consistent durning development.
Deliverable statuses combined with access control features allows to define custom workflows for managing and planing a budget.
*includes one-year of updates
Please ALWAYS make preliminary installation and tests of the plugin on development environment before proceeding to setup on production server.
Redmine Budget is based on Eric Davis’ work which was released by him to the community. Unfortunetly, project was abandoned. We really liked it and decided to completly rewrite (with keeping compatibility) and make it even better. If you are already using Eric’s version (or forks which didn’t make any changes to database) you can use this plugin as drop-in replecament.
This plugin also depends on Redmine Rate plugin which is bundled with Budget for your convenience.
Before processing it is recommended to backup your Redmine instance, both files and database (!)
Follow Redmine standard plugin installation steps:
- Upload redmine_budget/ and redmine_rate/ directories to plugins/ inside Redmine root directory.
- From shell, still inside Redmine directory, run rake redmine:plugins:migrate.
- Restart Redmine instance.
- Open Redmine inside your browser.
3. Setup permissions
Setup permissions for roles that should have access to Budget in Administration » Roles and permissions.
It is possible to grant read na write access to project’s budget.
4. Enable Budget for your projects
In order to use Budget, you have to enable it for each project.
To utilize benfeits of of financical management and planning provided by Budget, go to project Settings » Modules, and select Budget (make sure that Rate is also selected).
5. Specify rates for users
In order to utilize full potential of Budget, you have to fill up hourly rates for users that are going to work on projects with budget.
To do so, go to the project which has already enabled Budget module and visit Settings » Members.
Click Create in the Rate column to specify a hourly rate for a given user.
Hourly rates can be specified for different projects for each user. Project field is the context in which given rate will take effect. However, it is possible to not specify it which will create rate shared across projects (this option is default, as showed on figure above). Amount field is the amount of money in your currency for user’s hourly rate.
Fill up forms and click Add. Repeat this step to other users you wish to specify rates.
6. Create your first deliverable
Now, after all this drudgery, you can finally start using Budget.
Visit Budget » New deliverable to create new deliverable.
As you can see in above figure, creating deliverables looks pretty similar to issues:
- Subject is used to name and identify deliverable.
- Description is a great place to tell more about deliverable and it’s product(s), client information, requirements and so on.
- Status indicate what is the phase of deliverable. By default there are 3 statuses: New, In Progress, Closed. Statuses can directly affect deliverable by:
- speeding up process of filtering and searching across deliverables,
- changing visibility of deliverable across Redmine (in Issue’s Deliverable custom field, etc),
- hiding it off from list to avoid clutter,
- restricting users’ from changing information using protected attributes.
- You will learn more about statuses after few more steps of this tutorial.
- Budget section is an interactive calculator to quickly calculate and estimate costs, overhead and profit.
- Assigns allows to assign specific task for every member of a project to track their performance based of logged time. It is possible to use custom values for Activity field by visiting Administration » Enumerations.
7. Set issues
Deliverables are highly tied to Redmine core feature - issues.
Issues in projects with Budget enabled can be linked to deliverable direclty in issue’s page.
Budget will pull out all meaningful information from issues like logged time, due dates into single place and automatically calculate costs, profits and other factors accordingly.
8. Statuses & Workflows
Redmine Budget provide powerful features that, when combined can be used to create custom processes and workfows for budgeting in your organization.
As you may know, statuses can directly affect deliverables, similary to issues.
To see existing statuses and create new ones go to Administration » Deliverable statuses. Click New status.
Statuses can affect deliverables based on two properties:
- Deliverable marked as closed don’t show up on the list by default and cannot be assigned to issues and edited in order to keep historical records.
- Deliverable marked as protected restrict access based on protected attributs that can be set in plugin’s settings.
Default statuses are pretty basic so don’t hesitate to play around with them and create your own workflows for your organization.
Configuring protected attributes and other features can be done in settings page. Go there by visiting Administration » Plugins, find Redmine Budget and click Configure.
- You can select attributes which won’t be editable if deliverable is marked as protected through statuses.
- It is possible to specify Supervisor group. Users in this group will be able to edit all deliverables, even protected ones.
- Customize default deliverable queries with selected columns and two additional options for extending default deliverable list page:
- to add descriptions below every deliverable,
- to show compact information about whole deliverable, sucha as: issues, assigns, spent time.
If you would like to extend deliverables with your custom attributes, you can do so in Administration » Custom fields.
Also, if you would like to allow non-administrators access and manage rates, checkout Redmine Rate settings.
As times goes by you will have more and more projects to deliver. The beautiful thing about Budget is that it progressively become more useful as it has more information to process.
*includes one-year of updates
1.0.5 (2020-02-24) - [Fix] Deliverable status update had no effect or threw exception 1.0.4 (2020-02-02) - [Fix] Deliverable status edit view not rendering properly 1.0.3 (2020-02-02) - [Fix] Random crashes after migrating to 4.1 - [Feature] Deliverable statuses now use reorder handle instead of reorder buttons 1.0.2 (2020-02-02) - [Fix] Upgrade from 3.4 to 4.1 caused db migration fail 1.0.1 (2020-01-31) - [Fix] Deliverable grid sort cause crash 1.0.0 (2020-12-27) - [Feature] Compatible with Redmine 3.4 and 4.1 0.12.4 (2018-12-31) - [Fix] Fixed issues redirect link 0.12.3 (2017-12-28) - [Feature] Polish Translation - [Feature] German translation - [Feature] Update do redmine 3.4 0.12.2 (2017-07-06) - [Fix] Deliverable error when using PostgreSQL database. 0.12.0 (2017-05-30) - [Fix] Deliverable "Spent" column no longer includes fixed cost in its value. - [Fix] Project Budget Summary error when using PostgreSQL database. 0.11.0 (2016-12-30) This version comes with rethinked deliverable statuses that let you create more sophisticated workflows and support for standard Redmine features like attachments and saved queries along with a lot of fixes and small improvements. - [Feature] Deliverable status workflow transition. - [Feature] Saved queries for deliverables. - [Feature] Attachments for individual deliverables. - [Feature] Move deliverables between projects. - [Feature] Persistent query options within user session. - [Feature] Define protected fields based on deliverable status. - [UI] More readable deliverable overview on list. - [UI] Added Estimated Time and Spent Time next to deliverable fields. - [Usage] Change "protected attributes" name to "protected fields". - [Usage] Support raw queries on Rails 4 when calculating project budget for better performance. - [Usage] Add "Set deliverable" permission to allow users without Budget access to assign deliverables to issues. - [Usage] Deliverable assigns in list overview now display all assigns. Previously, only users with logged time were shown. - [Usage] Show multiple roles for each assigned user in list overview. - [Usage] When using "Issues" link in deliverable overview, all issues will be shown. - [Fix] Deliverable status filter. - [Fix] Support for native datepicker for Windows 10. - [Fix] Keep Issue-Deliverable relationship integrity when deliverable is deleted. - [Fix] Total Estimated Time calculation when issues with same deliverable were nested. - [Fix] Settings for menu visibility. - [Fix] Budget calculation when percentage value was used in "Overhead". - [Fix] Rounding "Cost" column value when zero. - [Fix] Error caused by custom fields on Redmine 2.x. 0.9.0 (2016-10-19) Initial public release.
Any question about our plugins? Please e-mail us at:
We’re open for your feedback and new features suggestions. There is always space for improvement!